Wednesday, April 8, 2009

St. Andrews - Castle Course

I didn't particularly like the Castle Course, the newest St. Andrews Course. It was designed by the guy who did Bandon Dunes, and opened last year. It's got some spectacular views, but I found it to be incredibly difficult (particularly in the high winds), to the point where I found a number of the holes unfair. The greens and fairways have wild undulations, that the first time player can't possibly understand with the help of a yardage book only. And I can't imagine that many tourists play it much more than once. What's more, it's clearly St. Andrews' foray into running an American-style resort course with the clubhouse service, range, etc. That's not why I came to Scotland, however.



Nice little par 4 down to the sea.



St. Andrews in the background.









Tough par 3. You aim way left and let the slope take the ball onto the green.



Cozy new clubhouse was welcome after braving the winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment