Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Royal Aberdeen

Royal Aberdeen was the most immaculately maintained golf course I've played so far, and one of the toughest as well. It's another ancient club - the 5th or 6th oldest in the world, dating back to the 1700s. Another picture perfect seaside links - coastal views, lots of heather and gorse, bumpy fairways - I'm getting spoiled. The greens were very fast for this time of year, and the fairways were incredibly narrow. In all, I thought it was one of the more difficult tracks I've played...the wind was blowing quite hard, and there was just so little room for error. I was actually swinging the club as well as I have the entire trip, but it wasn't reflected in my score of 94. I had 9 double bogies...a lot of them on reasonably good shots that ended up bouncing into penalty bunkers or through hard greens into thick heather. I enjoyed myself, and would like to test it again sometime. The club was also the fanciest I've been to yet...Aberdeen is the UK's oil capital, and the money of the place is evident in the clubhouse. I wonder what's going to happen to this city in 20 years when the North Sea oil fields start to rapidly deplete.



When I finished my round there was a guy scrubbing this granite seal on the way to the clubhouse.



2 green - very narrow par 5.



3 tee - oil ships in the North Sea.



Coming home on the back 9 - into the North Sea wind.



Gorse-lined fairways - need to be straight off the tee or the wind really magnifies your errors.



17th - The 18 handicap hole was 180 par 3 surrounded by bunkers, into a 3 club wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment