Cruden Bay is an absolutely terrific golf course tucked far up in the Northeast corner of Scotland. I really loved the golf course at Cruden Bay - the unique holes were a little reminiscent of North Berwick, though not as quirky and a bit more playable. But lots of blind shots, elevated tees with breathtaking views, mix of drivable par 4s and beastly long par 4s into the wind. Every hole was just such fun tro play - lots of choices about whether to play long or lay up, or bump and run or fly it to the hole. The kind of course I'd love to play every day - one of my favorites thus far, and one I definitely would love to bring a group of guys back to someday to just play and eat and drink for a few days. I had the course mostly to myself on a Tuesday in late April. I got a "day ticket" - which most Scottish golf courses have - it means you can play all day. I showed up at 7:30, thinking I'd get out early. Since the sun rises before 6, I assumed there'd be someone working in the pro shop. I was wrong - I had to wait until 8 or so, but it was fine. I played 54 holes that day...going off at 8, stopping for lunch and going again at 12:30 (the second round was pretty rainy and windy). Then I took a shower in the clubhouse, had another meal, and when the sun came out at 5, I decided to give it one more go round in the twilight. It was a great day of golf, but I was tired and sore by the end of it.

My first drive on 13. Both of the par 5's on the course are long and difficult. I had the wind with me on the first round, and bombed a drive that almost ended up in a little burn here.

Coastal links. Lots of bells for the blind shots.

15 - Blind par 3- over a hill.

14 - Blind approach to a little green tucked in an inlet.

9 tee. The castle in the distance allegedly was the inspirated Bram Stoker while writing Dracula.

9 tee - looking back over the front 9. What a great piece of land.

10 tee - looking out over the back 9...perhaps even better strip of links land.
No comments:
Post a Comment