Sunday, March 15, 2009

London - Foreign and Commonwealth Office Visit

On Wednesday, the fellows from five different Chevening Fellowship programs descended on London for a day of interaction with UK government officials. It was nice to get to know some of the fellows in other similar programs such as the economics of climate change and the economics of energy. I met some interesting people from Iraq, Armenia, Pakistan, Poland, and Canada. I had a really good conversation with an advisor to the Chair of the California Public Service Commission, who is at the economics of climate change course and is hopefully going to be a good contact for me and MI going forward. Also had an interesting back and forth with the mitigation policy director for the UK's international climate negotiations team.

The FCO Locarno Suite of meeting rooms were magnificent - stunning reminders of the legacy of generations of colonial wealth that still reside in the UK. Huge towering ceilings, the biggest and grandest doors I think I've ever seen, ornate lighting fixtures (that I hope are energy efficient!) and grand statutes, paintings, and frescos. They didn't allow camaras, but I found a few on Flikr.

After the meetings, a few of us headed over to a great little wine cellar pub, in what appeared to be an old WW II bomb shelter. We then had dinner with one of the UK's Foreign Ministers (who has responsibility for the Americas and the Middle East, among other difficult duties). I was seated next to the Private Secretary for the Minister, and we had a great conversation about how the international policymaking process works in the UK system. I also learned that the FCO office has its own wine cellar for events like these - where they purchase wines when they first come out and then cellar them for years or decades. The cellar is worth about £1 million, but its cost was much less because they got much better prices earlier. Again, the surroundings were elaborate and powerful. We dined at Lancaster House, built by the Duke of York in 1825 and located very near Buckingham Palace. I took some pics this time.



Ceiling above the "State Stair" leading to the Locarno Suite of meeting rooms.



Ceiling in the Locarno Conference Room.

l

Ceiling in the Grand Locarno Room.



David, Andy, and Nitin at Gordon's Wine Bar.



With my friend Zejun and one of the Chinese negotiators for the international climate talks, who showed great respect for Zejun.



My dinner invite.



Entrance Hall at Lancaster House.



Ceiling of entrance hall.



One of many ornate side salons in Lancaster House.



Having dinner.



Ceiling in the dinner room.



My glass of '82 port next to the Elizabeth II coffee dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment