Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Celebrating a New Day for the USA in the UK

The other American in the fellowship and I hosted a little party for our colleagues here in Edinburgh to watch and celebrate President Obama's (it feels nice to type that) Inauguration. While part of me longed to be out there in the Mall and later at the Michigan Ball with so many great friends, it was a really special way to experience the moment. You could have heard a pin drop during the Inaugural Address, and afterwards the feelings of amazement, optimism, and relief from my new international friends made me beam. The last couple of times I've traveled abroad, whenever I had to tell those I met that I was an American, there was always this awkward exchange where I had to explain that not all of us supported George W. Bush's policies (particularly the war in Iraq). It's such a relief to be lifted of that burden and have it replaced with an incredible pride in saying, I'm from the United States.

Obama's speech was very well received here by everyone I spoke to - Canadians, Chinese, South Africans, Indonesians, and Brits. Most of them couldn't imagine the massive crowds and the pomp and circumstance of the ceremony taking place in their country. More than one person told me that in his speech they once again heard the America they wanted to believe in and the America they wanted to lead the rest of the world. Our group was particularly pleased by the fact that the first time in history an Inaugurual Address called for renewable energy and a commitment to address the dangers of climate change.

We're back. The leadership and respect from the rest of the world that was lost in the past few years has been restored in an instant. Holding on to that respect will now require more than mere words, but I am confident we will do it. I have so much faith in this new President's judgment, temperment, wisdom, in short, in his soul. We're in good hands. Certainly not easy times, but I can't imagine many others I'd rather have guiding the ship through this stormy passage.

The BBC played Sam Cooke's classic - A Change is Going to Come - a number of times throughout their coverage. I've loved that song for some time, but yesterday's events bring it to life with new meaning. So in honor of Obama, (and my Jon Bon Jovi-loving mom), I'll share this version with all of you:


1 comment:

  1. Brandon:
    I had the same thoughts, you know Mike and I, the world travelers. I had several emails from international friends along the lines of those you're with.
    I'm glad you're having fun!
    Andrea
    P.S., I liked the BonJovi video. :-)

    ReplyDelete