We had the first day in London to ourselves. I had lunch at Harrod's, the Mecca of department stores. I spent the afternoon dodging school kids looking at dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History and and admiring Rodin sculptures the Victoria and Albert Museum. Walked home through some of the parks, including a pit stop at the Princess Diana memorial fountain, an understated and elegant circular pool.
Coming from Edinburgh, I was struck by the intensity of London. The mobs of crowds pushing on the tubes even in mid-afternoon, the absolute feast of architectural grandeur everywhere in the city, and the familiar and unsettling feeling of namelessness that I get whenever I go to New York City. Maybe I'm getting old, but while I love to visit mega-cities like this, I wouldn't want to live in one. It just doesn't feel like home.

The deli at Harrod's.

Random elaborate building on my walk.

Random ornate gate.

Natural History Museum.

Courtyard in the V&A Musuem.

Swans on the way home. Kensington Gardens.

My humble abode for the week. It looks bigger than it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment